During this past week I have attended my first two job fairs! Last Tuesday's took place in Ann Arbor (which I know many fellow MACers attended), and Saturday, a few of us went to Chicago's public school fair. Horrifying as interviews are to me (I have a severe inability to talk about myself in a good light), I definitely understand now the concept of 'practice makes perfect'. Tuesday started out rough. I talked to a few schools that I was only mildly interest in, saving the more impressive schools or interviews until I was warmed up. This certainly eased my nerves a little bit, but it also meant that I didn't make it to two schools because they left the fair early. Overall, I think I only bombed one interview; however, I don't think I can safely say that any of them were great.
Chicago was also difficult. The Thursday and Friday preceding the fair constituted the two worst days of my year, but oddly enough, that only made me more determined to concentrate on job opportunities. None of these employers conducted what could legitimately be called an interview, but I may have one possibility open to me after this weekend. I'll have to wait and see.
Starting the job search has shown me how far behind I actually am! I commend everyone who has all their letters written, references collected, applications made, thank you's sent.... my method seems to be getting my feet wet in the job search while I'm finishing classes. Hopefully it won't be too late to catch up after next week.
Monday, April 27, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
You'll be fine, Rachel. There is no *one* way to do this, and it's really great that you pushed your comfort zone a bit and got some interview practice under your belt. For most people, this is the ideal use for the mock interview day. Don't let this get you down...just chip away at it.
Post a Comment